Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Adding someone on Facebook: No mutual friends?


*Asking again under a new category, hoping to get more input this time.



Alright, so I have a problem. I'm usually a pretty shy person, which only improves once I get more comfortable with someone. Often I'm not always comfortable being the one to initiate conversation with someone I don't know well, either. That's not to say I won't, but just sometimes I don't feel up to it. Anyway, I've been working on trying to be more social and reaching out to more people.



For example, there's this boy in one of my classes that I feel I would like to get to know better. The issue: I have no idea how I should strike up conversation with him without it being awkward. We see each other often in the halls as well, but I've only talked to him directly once, to ask about an assignment. Times when I've been in similar situations, I've used something like Facebook as an icebreaker to make things feel less pressured when I see people in person later.



With this guy though, he also seems to be somewhat reserved, and from what I saw on his Facebook, somewhat selective about who he adds. We have no mutual friends, so I don't want to seem like a creep for sending a friend request, plus there's also the possibility of rejection which is never fun.



So should I bother trying to add this person or is the risk of looking like a freak too high? I don't want you guys thinking I'm socially inept or anything, just quiet and lacking some confidence. If I shouldn't add him - what excuses could I make to strike up conversation? What could we talk about?


Answer:



walk up next to him in the hallway, and say something about the class, teacher or work. like "do you understand ____ at all, i think its pretty hard" not to good of an ex but u understand the idea. if ur in high school send the fr. if ur not then dont. u have to become friends with him first


Answer:



yes you should add him! who cares if he declines your request its no big deal, if you worry about that youll never make any friends in the future. write to him asking about work or an assignment. once he gives you an answer move onto something else like 'youre good at this subject' or something about the teacher or even 'anyway what you upto'.



its also good to get to know someone by talking to them face to face as you can tell if they want to talk to you... with fb there is always the uncertainty that theyre internet may not be working or theyre ignoring you etc



ask stuff about the class, things youre confused about, who he hangs out with, ask about kids in the class you dont know that well.



adding people on fb is good, and hardly anyone gets creeped out as its common for people to add you even if theyve never spoken to you because they go to the same school/college.



with girls if you like their profile picture once in a while thats a way for them to do it back and get to know each other.

just remember, dont go overboard with chatting or comments... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment